Today was a free day, so we decided to just stay put for the morning and let Maylie catch up on some badly needed rest. This did wonders for her and us. Anytime you spend 24-7 with someone else for prolonged periods of time, your faults can easily bubble to the surface and you can get on each other’s nerves quickly.
After breakfast, Rachel played with Maylie while I ran to 7Eleven for supplies. I then stopped by Starbucks to make sure today’s employees knew how to make a decent cappuccino. Fortunately, they did. ;)
On this trip, one of the only things I’ve not tired of is hearing them call out like the SNL "cheezborger, cheezborger, cheezborger" skit:
"Toll. Dee-cahf. ‘Patch – ee-no"
"Toll. Dee-cahf. ‘Patch – ee-no"
Depending on the time of day, and our location, you will find people begging on the streets. They are clean and neatly dressed, usually walk with a limp or have a visible deformity and sometimes have a small child with them. They also tend to single out and make a beeline for Caucasians for charity. I’m always in turmoil during these encounters, as I want to help out, but am unsure if the one asking for help genuinely needs it. I want to lend a hand, but not get suckered.
A couple days ago at the Buddhist temple, one of the guys in our group asked our tour guide about the beggars – pointing out that they looked reasonably well cared for (clean, neat clothes, etc.) Her response was interesting. In Guangzhou, there is a professional beggars union. (I think we call those "lobbyists" in the States). The beggars get together at the end of the day and divide what comes in based on several factors. She told us that in China there is a saying,
"If someone is begging for money, give them food"
If someone is begging for food, give them money."
Great saying.
Here’s another one she told us, based on the fact that in Guangzhou, the locals like their food undercooked or even raw:"In Guangzhou the people eat anything with four legs except a table, and anything with two wings except a plane."
Upon returning from Starbucks, I tried to confirm our plane reservations and seating for the long flight home. We were running into a dilemma as we would have had to call Hong Kong (an international call) to check on the flight info.
Thank the Lord for the internet.
I was able to IM my sister via Yahoo who, in turn, called my folks and we conference IM’d. We were able to talk with my folks at 10:30 PM CST in ‘real time’ as they tried to sort things out with United Airlines back in the States. Good thing we called. United had us next to each other but with an aisle separating us and no mention of the requested bassinet.
I’m sure we would have made a ton of new friends on that 13.5 hr. flight.
Our travel agent also neglected to tell United Express that our daughter would be traveling back with us from Chicago to CWA.
Uh… oops.
So major, big thanks to my sister, my mom, my dad, and the friendly United lady who got us seats next to each other with a bassinet for the long flight home.
"Adopting From China" food tip: Another eatery Westerners can depend on for near facsimiles of American food is Danny’s Bagels. They do all kinds of American dishes and deliver to the hotel for free. Rachel and I each had lasagna tonight (don’t worry mom, no one comes close to your recipe and this place, while good, is not even in the same ball park). Huge portions, reasonably still hot and it only cost $12.50 (USD).
Maylie, on the other hand, had baby food peas for the first time – yummmy!

So earlier tofay, after Maylie’s extended nap, we went (surprise, surprise) shopping again!
For me its more about just being able to take a nice long walk with Rachel and Maylie and there is a bit of fun haggling with the shop keepers. OK - I kind of like shopping sometimes - sue me
Completely random thought ahead:
I heard the Packers were thoroughly trounced by the Bears.
Perhaps they need to eat their congee.
After returning from shopping, we held a "fashion show" in our room, with Rachel dressing Maylie up in each of the new outfits we got her.
So light the catwalk and cue the House music! Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.
And now the latest in infant-Chinese-American-living-in-Wisconsin fashion::



No comments:
Post a Comment