Today was a wonderful day, which followed the roughest night we’ve had yet. If this blogsite is starting to sound like everyday is hard… well… the days (and nights) are tough – but the reward is so worth it. Before I go any further, I need to show you part of that reward:

bridge:
Sometimes I want to give up, I wanna give in, I wanna quit the fight,
then one look at you baby, and everything's alright. Hey, Everything's alright - so right
(Chorus)
When I see you smile, I can face the world
Oh you know I can do anything yeah
When I see you smile, I see a ray of light
Oh I see it shining right through the rain Yeah
When I see you smile
Yeah I can face the world
Oh you know I can do anything now
When I see you smile, oh yeah baby
When I see you smile
Smile at me"
Thank you all for your prayers – keep praying!
We’ve had SO MANY great moments with her today – smiling, laughing, babbling…she’s chattering up a storm with Rachel right now. We’ll try to send a short video to immediate family
We’re pretty sure Maylie has an ear infection – from her screams to her head shaking, to her leaky eyes, to her grabbing her ear all the time… so last night we started her on medicine that should bring it to an end before our plane trip home. And the difference has been like night and day. Rachel has been amazing in her patience and care of Maylie, reminding me that though she’s only 10 month’s old, Maylie still goes through a grieving process. Her "nannies" had been doing the very thing we had prayed to God for: they were showing her love daily. It is hard for her to leave all that for this American couple she doesn’t know at all and I’m sure we adoptive parents don’t recognize enough that they are cognitively further along than we realize.
So halfway through the trip, we are good, but are still very much missing our son at home with Grandma and Grandpa. We love you tons Elijah and can’t wait to be back together again as a family!!!
Why are we in China for 10 days? Well, part of that is that we cannot apply for Maylie’s visa and passport until we’re here and she is officially ours. Then, after our 3 interviews (previous post), the paperwork is filed and we wait while it is processed. Just like in the States, government regulations and "hoops" it is not a quick in-and-out deal.
Today we toured parts of Guangzhou. A folk art museum that used to be a religious building and then an academic building for boys. This building is pretty magnificent as you consider it was built in the 1880’s. As always, we get a brief Chinese history lesson as we visit landmarks.


Next we headed to a Buddhist temple. Again,
a nutshell overview of Buddhist religion and philosophy was given and then we were able just to walk the grounds. Rachel and I spent some of that time doing a prayer walk, asking God to spread the hope of the Good News throughout China, even like the incense that was being offered to the idols.
Lunch was with our friends, and fellow adopting parents - the Wolbers - at a nice Japanese restaurant in the Marriott next door to our hotel.
You sit on the floor, but under the table is a sunken floor, so you’re sitting on the floor, but your legs can go down like you’re on a normal chair.
Speaking of our hotel… we were a bit disappointed when we first learned that we would not be staying at the famed White Swan, but where we are – the Dong Fang Hotel - is great!Much less crowded than when we walked through the White Swan and some modern convenience places nearby – 7Eleven, McDonalds, the restaurants at the Marriott and, oh, have I mentioned that there is a Starbucks nearby? ;)
We stopped there again this afternoon and had a great conversation with a gentleman who owns a shop near the White Swan and he speaks amazingly good English. He was there with his son and wife and when we told him that we were planning to stop at his shop based on recommendations we had received from our Yahoo group friends he lit up.
He shook our hands and said, "Thank you, that is so good to hear." He turned to young son and excitedly told him something in Chinese. Turning back to us he said, "I have been trying to teach my son that if you do a business and stay on the right road it will be good. Not go (hand motions indicating curving to the left or right or down), but go straight. As a Christian I want to do what is right."
I wasn’t prepared for a follower of Christ in China to be as vocal about his faith. I suppose that since we were in Starbucks and that we were Americans he felt more freedom to tell us this. If you doubt it is an issue to talk about following Jesus in China as a Chinese citizen, I would strongly encourage you to read The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun, or read Against the Tide, the biography of Watchman Nee. This man then excitedly encouraged us to stop by when we next visited Shamian Island.
We’re not sure at this point if we’re going to make it to the International Church on Shamian Island tomorrow – so much rests on how much rest we can get at night. I’d love to be able to go.. so we’ll see
A few nights ago, some friends went to the Hard Rock Café here in Guangzhou. Tonight we tried to go there, but when you don’t speak the language, you get misunderstood easily.
"Is the Hard Rock Café near here?"
"Hod roke café?"
"Yes, Hard Rock Café"
"No Hod Roke Café… it cancelled… no more"(loosley translated this is "I don’t speak English all that well, so I don’t understand what you’re saying, but we have a lovely restaurant we invite you to enjoy")
So, McD’s tonight. Thanks again for your prayers!
Oh, and always remember that sage piece of wisdom from inside the Buddhist temple:


No comments:
Post a Comment